Saturday, April 26, 2008

Decisions, decisions


It seems to be more difficult than I thought to come up with just EXACTLY the right things to do in order to make this house more salable. Thanks to the fridge deciding to stop cooling, we now have the new appliances we knew we were going to get eventually in this process. We still need to decide if we are going to do a re-arrangement of the kitchen by basically changing where the fridge and stove are located. It would mean just a bit of work to move a couple of cupboards and repair one small section of wall. We are going to be painting the cupboards and I am still trying to decide if I will re-use the old doors or if I will get new ones to update the look a bit more. A complete new counter top will also be on the list and, again, I am not sure what to use there.

We are also discussing the possibility of removing the carpet from the main areas of the house and putting down laminate flooring. I'm just not exactly sure if laminate is a good idea in the kitchen or if I should be staying with vinyl in there. I am not a huge fan of tile in a kitchen but it is a consideration as well. We are leaning towards keeping the carpet in the bedrooms at this point.

Then, we get into the topic of paint... do we paint all the interior doors?? Right now, they are just stained a kind of medium dark ( 1970's) color . I think they would look better painted white as well as painting all of the wood trim in the house white. CJ is concerned that the old wood grain will show through the paint and look strange. The doors do not have a distinct grain as they are made of something that looks perhaps like mahogany with a very fine grain, not an obviously distinct "wood" grain such as you would see in oak.

All in all, there is a lot of work ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing what you have to say and try to respond to any questions. Please be sure I have a way to contact you. If you are set to 'no-reply' I have no way to respond. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!