Thursday, May 20, 2010

Checkerboard Dish Cloth Pattern

This is a pattern I made up for my granddaughter so she could practice this prior to making a bigger blanket. If you try this pattern, please let me know if you find the instructions easy to understand.

Checkerboard Dish Cloth
with Seed Stitch Border
 by Edna @ Needling Things

1 50g ball Worsted Weight 100% Cotton (such as Lily Sugar 'n Cream)
Large eye darning needle

Cast on 42 sts loosely

Row 1 – *K1, P1 repeat from * across row.
Row 2 – *P1, K1 repeat from * across row.

Repeat rows 1 & 2 three more times for a total of 8 rows of seed stitch.

(For ease of knitting, place a marker after the first six seed stitches and before the last six seed stitches on the next row. On all following rows, slip the markers from one needle to the other to keep them in place.)

Row 9 – Work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 1) marker, K6, P6, K6, P6, K6 across to last 6 stitches, marker then 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 1) to end.

Row 10 – Work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 2) up to marker, P6, K6, P6, K6, P6 across to marker then work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 2) to end.

Row 11 to 16, repeat rows 9 and 10.

Row 17 – Work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 1) up to marker, P6, K6, P6, K6, P6 repeat across up to marker then work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 1) to end.

Row 18 – Work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 2) up to marker, K6, P6, K6, P6, K6 repeat across up to marker then work 6 stitches seed stitch (as in row 2) to end.

Row 19 to 24, repeat rows 17 and 18.

Row 25 to 32, repeat rows 9 to 16

Row 33 to 40, repeat rows 17 to 24

Row 41 to 48, repeat rows 9 to 16

Row 49 to 56, repeat rows 17 to 24

Row 57 to 64, work seed stitch as in rows 1 to 8. (Stitch markers can be removed on row 57 as they will no longer be needed.)

Cast off and weave thread tails in using large eyed needle.


I hope you enjoy using or gifting this washcloth!

    

Copyright 2010 by Edna McFall. Permission is granted to make and sell items from this pattern provided that credit is given to me as the designer. Permission is not granted to reproduce the actual pattern, or post it, or distribute it, without my express permission.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! A excellent beginner's project. I have made something similar here: http://mosunbi.blogspot.com/2009/05/free-pattern-for-knitted-washcloths.html

    They are addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a really unique dishcloth! I am not a knitter or a crocheter, but this pattern has caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a beginner...it's cute...i'll give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats wierd im doin exactly the same thing and im turnin it into a blanket

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a senior citizen, and haven't knitted or crocheted since my teens, but this gives me a notion to start up again!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say and try to respond to any questions. Please be sure I have a way to contact you. If you are set to 'no-reply' I have no way to respond. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!