Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pink & Yellow Disappointment OR The Importance of Contrast

Finally, I decided that enough is enough. I NEED a design wall. Off I went to our local fabric store and there I found some 274cm wide flannel in a natural color. Knowing I wanted to mount the flannel directly to the wall above my sewing machine, I needed only 1.6 M to do the job. I straightened both ends of the cuts and hemmed all sides. With help from a friend, we pulled all the stuff away from the wall and stapled the flannel to the wall under my magazine shelf. FINALLY, I have a design wall!!!! It cost me all of  $15.00.

First things up on the wall are the blocks for my pink and yellow quilt. Well, a bit more than half of them. I knew my wall would not have enough room to accommodate a full size quilt all at once. BUT, seeing those blocks up there... I am feeling quite disappointed with this quilt. The inspiration for doing this design and color choice came from Hanne's Quilt Corner and a quilt she made . I loved her quilt the moment I saw it!

When I made my first 4 blocks, I had used just two fabrics for each block. I decided I wanted it to be more scrappy (like Hanne's) so I took those apart then went right ahead and made ALL the blocks mixing up all the fabrics. When I look at it on the wall now, it looks like a scrambled mess to me. The chains through the blocks are not showing up because of the lack of contrast in the blocks. MAJOR disappointment. I am thinking now I should have gone with the original blocks using 2 fabrics per block and making sure there was a good contrast between the colors in each block. I am unsure now if I even want to finish this quilt. Picking out 72 blocks would be a HUGE task but, it would be one way to salvage this mess.

Stash Report for Week 2

Used this week: 0 M (Not counting the fabric to make my design wall)
Used Year to Date: 8.25 M
Added this week: 0 M (Again, not counting the fabric for my design wall)
Added Year to Date: .9 M
Net used for 2010: 7.35 M

5 comments:

  1. Nice design wall. I wish I had a space for one. So for now the floor will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your quilt. It seems great the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But now that I looked at Hanne's, I see what you mean. If you don't like the folk-art scrappy look you have (and I do), I guess you have to rework it. Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt. The contrast isn't as obvious as in the other one but I love pastels and this has more of a pastel look to it.

    I am sorry you're disappointed in it but to me it is beautiful. This proves that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are all your blks sewn together like the 4 patch in the smaller photo - or is that just how you have them sitting - so all the blks are still loose?? The reason I ask is - if they are still 'singles' then don't use the patten you are working on - move them any ol' way you want.
    Now, if they are all sewn into the 4 patch, you can still move them around till you have more of a design you prefer - but I also like this quilt. I like it's softness, it's warmth, it's peaceful feeling...... I understand your dissappointment, but it's not a bad project at all. I definitly would not be taking it apart - that is alot of work...... but, you need to do what you need to do to make it right for you.

    You have made a great wall though!! Good friend to come and help, and you have a wall at a great price!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say and try to respond to any questions. Please be sure I have a way to contact you. If you are set to 'no-reply' I have no way to respond. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!