Friday, January 6, 2012

New Antique Grandmothers Flower Garden Project


A few months back I purchased 80 hand pieced antique Grandmothers Flower Garden units on eBay. I had hoped to use them as is. The first thing I did after looking through all of them was to hand wash them. They were soaked in groups of 10 at a time in the bathroom sink using baby shampoo. I still can't believe how brown the water became after each group was washed. After rinsing, they were laid out to dry. When laying them out, I noticed that many of them were poorly sewn and many had pleats and puckers sewn in. Not all were the same size either.

I decided that the best route to go would be to take the blocks apart and re-do them using English Paper Piecing. I took the first 10 apart keeping the pieces for each motif together. They were ironed flat and the pieces for each flower held together with a clip.

When I measured the hexies, I thought I'd be able to use 3/4" hexagons. I ordered the paper pieces I'd need and then waited. They arrived about 10 days later so I set about basting the first pieces. That's when I discovered that some of the pieces were cut just a bit too small. I need to go with a smaller paper piece.

Once again, I went online to see if I can find 5/8" paper pieces. I found that Paper Pieces website will custom laser cut 5/8" pieces as well as other odd sizes! I ordered them and set about waiting again. Another two weeks passed by until they arrived in my mailbox. I basted a few pieces and this size is perfect! Now I can really get this project going!


8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finally happy with your hexies. I am not a hexie fan at present. Not to say I never will be. They are pretty to look at but I am not much into hand sewing. What is it you are going to make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hopefully be making a quilt top of whatever size I can get from the hexies I have. I'm looking now for the perfect background color to separate them all. By surrounding each "flower" with background, it will increase the overall size I will get.

      Delete
  2. WOW! What a hugh untaking. I would love to see them when finished. If you don't mind let me know so I won't miss them.I don't have what it takes to do something like this. Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I have what it takes!! Although, it may take me a long time to get it done, I will most likely be doing updates on my progress here from time to time.

      Delete
  3. only joined your blog yesterday so catching up on your past!! Have made the thread catcher, great idea and now looking at your grandmother flowers. I had no idea you could buy the paper for hexagons, long time since I did some but I cut them all put myself, what a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed your website

    ReplyDelete
  5. the thread catcher is a terrific idea. Measured the paper and now am going to try an make several as gifts. thanks for sharing. This is a great BlogSpot. Just found you.
    Celia at csmiledolls@yahoo.com. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing. Your BlogSpot is really great. the tread catcher is nice and I plan on making several for gifts. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing what you have to say and try to respond to any questions. Please be sure I have a way to contact you. If you are set to 'no-reply' I have no way to respond. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!!