Friday, January 6, 2012
A few months back I purchased 80 hand pieced antique Grandmothers Flower Garden units on eBay. I had hoped to use them as is. The first thing I did after looking through all of them was to hand wash them. They were soaked in groups of 10 at a time in the bathroom sink using baby shampoo. I still can't believe how brown the water became after each group was washed. After rinsing, they were laid out to dry. When laying them out, I noticed that many of them were poorly sewn and many had pleats and puckers sewn in. Not all were the same size either.
I decided that the best route to go would be to take the blocks apart and re-do them using English Paper Piecing. I took the first 10 apart keeping the pieces for each motif together. They were ironed flat and the pieces for each flower held together with a clip.
When I measured the hexies, I thought I'd be able to use 3/4" hexagons. I ordered the paper pieces I'd need and then waited. They arrived about 10 days later so I set about basting the first pieces. That's when I discovered that some of the pieces were cut just a bit too small. I need to go with a smaller paper piece.
Once again, I went online to see if I can find 5/8" paper pieces. I found that Paper Pieces website will custom laser cut 5/8" pieces as well as other odd sizes! I ordered them and set about waiting again. Another two weeks passed by until they arrived in my mailbox. I basted a few pieces and this size is perfect! Now I can really get this project going!